Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Mission



Hello. My name's Allison. I’m 29; I was diagnosed with autism at age 3. I have 3 college degrees pertaining to helping people. I have a lot of experience working with people of all ages on the spectrum in various employment areas while earning my degrees.

Common questions I have been asked by many families with children & adolescents on the spectrum are about certain milestones such as "will my child/adolescent be able to hold a job?” The thing is, some of us do, and some of us don’t. That’s the beauty of autism; we are all so very different. When we struggle with one thing, we heavily compensate with another with our unique, special qualities.

Many families have these questions and many more. Families love hearing from adolescents & adults on the spectrum. Yet, society acts like we don’t exist, and therefore, there are not a lot of opportunities for us to be able to open up.

So, I decided to start a project! What the whole project is about is to give a voice to adolescents & adults with autism.

I want to give us the opportunity to speak up, to share our side of the story. So, I talk with adolescents & adults to  speak up & I want to reassure everyone that we exist & everything will be okay.

It’s my mission to show people that adolescents & adults not only exist, but we are fantastic! I want to give hope to families who are in fear of their children’s potential as they get older. And, I want to let other adolescents & adults who are autistic know that they are not alone. 

If you or someone you know wants to be a part of this project - let me know by commenting here.

This is for EVERYONE who is on, or suspects they are on the spectrum, as well as being on ANY LEVEL of the spectrum, whether you are NEWLY diagnosed, or have been diagnosed YEARS ago or WAITING on a diagnosis.

We have many accommodations set up if you wish to talk through email, Skype, FaceTime or Facebook. We publish each story anonymously unless requested otherwise. Stories can be written, made into a video or an audio file-whatever your choosing-we can accommodate for it!

Requirements:
1. You must be 14 years or older
2. You MUST have autism/aspergers or SUSPECT you do. (This is NOT for caregivers to speak for their children. This is FOR those with autism/Aspergers to have their own platform.)

Be strong & know that you are not alone!!

Updated 10/19/18

We also now do Q&As, so if you ever have any burning questions you want to ask-feel free to message me here or Unashamed Voices.

If you are a caregiver or someone who wants to learn more about autism through the eyes of autistics.

Our previous participants will have the opportunity to voluntarily answer your questions anonymously

All of it will be anonymous for the questioners & answers! 📣🗯




No comments:

Post a Comment

FAQ

Society acts like adolescents & adults on the spectrum don’t exist, that we just grow out of it or something. & for us adolescents/...